For more information regarding the chapter formation process, contact the SAI National Vice President, Extension Marcie Richardson. Contact information can be found in the Fall issue of Pan Pipes or from firstname.lastname@example.org.
All groups interested in starting a chapter on their campus should follow the process listed below:
Step 1 :
- Contact the NVP Extension, Marcie Richardson and confirm the proper course of action for your institution.
- Submit a letter of approval from the President of the College/University and the Dean/Music Department Chair to begin a chapter of SAI on the campus.
- Submit official verification from the Music Department of at least 25 music majors/minor in the department with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Obtain faculty advisor and forward his/her contact information to the National Vice President, Extension.
- Elect officers.
- Request a formal pre-colonization visit by an official representative of Sigma Alpha Iota with school officials and group members.
Step 2 (After successful completion of Step 1):
- Meet regularly (weekly).
- Compile bylaws (based on sample provided in guidelines).
- Implement a service project to benefit the music department.
- Select fundraising project and open a bank account.
- Meet the membership requirement of at least 15 qualified women under graduating senior status.
- Submit the formal petition (by February 1 st for spring installation, by September 1 for fall initiation).
Step 3 (After successful completion of Step 2):
- After petition approval, host a post-petition visit by a Sigma Alpha Iota representative.
- Complete the Member Training period.
- Set a date with the National Vice President, Extension for formal installation.
Alumnae chapters may be formed by post-college members in good standing and by non-student collegiate chapter members at the end of their academic year of initiation. Working closely with the National Vice President, Extension Marcie Richardson, the Chapter petitioning group of 15 or more SAI alumnae shall follow this procedure:
- Hold regular meetings for at least 5 months.
- Elect officers who will serve for 6 months or more after installation.
- Write chapter bylaws.
- Demonstrate continued high musical standards.
- Submit petition for approval of the National Executive Board. After installation, the Alumnae Chapter is required each year to fulfill the National Objectives and Bylaws, to hold a minimum of five business meetings and to present three musicales.