Robert Starer passed away on April 22, 2001.
Robert Starer was born in Vienna in 1924 and received his musical education at the State Academy in Vienna, the Jerusalem Conservatoire and the Juilliard School. He became an American citizen in 1957. He has taught at Juilliard and at the Graduate Center of C.U.N.Y. where he was named a Distinguished Professor in 1986. Among his honors are two Guggenheim Fellowships. He was elected a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 1994, awarded the Medal of Honor for Science and Art by the President of Austria in 1995, an Honorary Doctorate by the State University of New York in 1996 and a Presidential Citation by the National Federation of Music Clubs in 1997.
His stage works include three operas and several ballets for Martha Graham. His orchestral works have been performed by major orchestras here and abroad under such conductors as Mitropoulos, Bernstein, Steinberg, and Mehta. Interpreters of his music include Janos Starker, Jaime Laredo, Paula Robison and Leontyne Price. The recording of his Violin Concerto (Itzhak Perlman with the Boston Symphony under Seiji Ozawa) was nominated for a Grammy. Excerpts from his book CONTINUO: A Life in Music have appeared in the New Yorker, Musical America, and the London Times. In 1997 the Overlook Press published THE MUSIC TEACHER, his first work of fiction. The opening chapter was excerpted in The Keyboard Companion. CD recordings of his music are available from CRI, VOX, Albany Records, Transcontinental and MMC
- Violin Concerto - Itzhak Perlman, Boston Symphony, Seiji Ozawa, conductor - EMI CDC 7 49328 2
- Viola Concerto - Melvin Berger, English Chamber Orchestra, John Snashall, cond. -VOX CDX 5158
- Cello Concerto - Janos Starker, Pro Arte Chamber Orchestra, Leon Botstein, cond. - CRI CD 618
- ARIEL, VISIONS OF ISAIAH, (Chorus and Orch.) CONCERTO A TRE, ANNA MARGARITA's WILL (Soprano, Instr.) - CRI CD 612
- KLI ZEMER (Concerto for Clarinet), SAMSON AGONISTES (Orchestra), CONCERTO A QUATTRO (Woodwinds), ANNAPOLIS SUITE (Brass and Harp) - MMC CD 2048
- EVANESCENCE (Brass Quintet), HUDSON VALLEY SUITE (Albany Symphony) - TROY CD 244
- SONATA FOR TWO PIANOS - Rosi & Toni Grunschlag - CRI CD 606
- CHAMBER MUSIC - Clarinet Quintet, Duo for Violin and Piano, Elegy for a Woman who Died Too Young, Episodes for Viola, Cello, Piano - Albany 152
- VOCAL MUSIC - "Remembering Felix" (Text by Gail Godwin),"To Think of Time" (Text by Walt Whitman), "Night Thoughts" (Vocal Quartet, Piano) - Albany 151
- EXCURSIONS FOR A PIANIST and other solo piano works - Gerald Berthiaume, pianist - Albany 205
- NISHMAT ADAM, (Narrator, Soprano, Cello, Piano) PSALMS OF WOE AND JOY (Chorus and Piano), PROVERBS FOR A SON (Chorus and Instruments) - Trancontinental 950009
- LIGHT AND SHADOW - Rascher Saxophone Quartet - Cala CACD 77003
- THREE PRELUDES for TRUMPET and ORGAN - Gothic DDD 49067
- FIVE PRELUDES for PIANO - Roberta Rust - Protone PRCD 1110
- SOLO PIANO MUSIC (1946-1996) - Justin Kolb - TROY CD 228
- CATALOGUE OF WORKS printed by MCA Music, now distributed by Hal Leonard, Milwaukee, WI.
- List of works arranged by publisher.