How to Join Sigma Alpha Iota
All regular members of Sigma Alpha Iota must be initiated by a collegiate chapter. Patroness members and Distinguished Members may be initiated by either a collegiate or an alumnae chapter. To find your nearest collegiate chapter, consult our chapter listing. If there is no chapter in your area, you may wish to consider starting an SAI chapter.
Collegiate students must fulfill the following membership requirements:
- Demonstrate a sincere interest in music, including those who major or minor in music.
- Complete one or more semesters, including one or more music courses.
- Achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 - 2.9 (individual chapters determine the chapter’s requirement within this range).
- Meet local Member-in-Training requirements.
- Meet the financial obligations.
- Pass the national membership test.
Non-student members are women musicians not enrolled in a formal music curriculum. They must be trained sufficiently to earn a living in a music profession and be active in that profession. The non-student member must be approved by the SAI National President in consultation with the Province Officer. The non-student member automatically assumes alumnae status at the end of the fraternity year in which she is initiated.