Musical America Jobs Center
A regularly updated catalog of job opportunities in the fields of music and the arts.
Call For Scores for Encontro Internacional de Cordas
The Symphonic Society of Limeira (SSL) announces a call for scores for the VII Encontro Internacional de Cordas (International String Festival) and the 2021 Limeira Symphony Orchestra Concert Series.
Founded in 2013 and now in its seventh edition, the Encontro Internacional de Cordas is a week-long chamber music festival which takes place in Brazil. Each year, professional string players, students, and educators from all over the world gather in the city of Limeira to study and perform chamber music. The dates for the VII Encontro Internacional de Cordas are June 21 through 27. Now in its twenty-fourth season, the Limeira Symphony Orchestra is one of the leading symphonic groups in São Paulo state. The Limeira Symphony Orchestra performs over thirty concerts a year featuring renowned soloists and world premieres of works by contemporary composers in an eclectic concert series ranging from baroque to popular music.
We invite composers to submit pieces in two categories:
Category I: Chamber Works for Strings:
- Works composed for string instruments such as violin, viola, cello, double-bass, guitar, and harp. Works may be written for any combination including solos, duos, trios, quartets, quintets, sextets, septets, octets, nonets, up to a string chamber orchestra (30 players). Works written for string chamber orchestra may feature one or more string soloists.
Category II: Symphonic Works:
- Works composed for a Symphony Orchestra in the suggested instrumentation: strings, harp, woodwinds (2 flutes, plus piccolo, 2 clarinets, 2 oboes, plus English horn, 2 bassoons), brass (2 trumpets, 4 horns, 3 trombones), percussion (glock, tamtam, snare drum, cymbals, tenor and bass drums), timpani 3. Works written for Symphony Orchestra may feature one or more string soloists.
Please be aware that, based on your country of citizenship, a visa might be required to enter Brazil. The Limeira Symphonic Society will aid visiting composers and travel companions with the application process for a Visa when necessary. You can consult the Brazilian General Consulate for more information regarding visa requirements by clicking http://www.portalconsular.itamaraty.gov.br/vistos-para-viajar-ao-brasil
Deadline: May 15, 2020
Association of Concert Bands Young Composers Composition Contest in Partnership with the John Philip Sousa Foundation
There are over a thousand community bands in the United States and more across the globe looking for new music that fits a more traditional style of concert band literature that audiences will enjoy. This composition contest is intended for composers under 30 years of age writing a 3 - 5 minute duration piece of original composition for concert band at a grade level of roughly grade 4. The composer will receive an award of $2,000 and reimbursement up to $1000 for travel expenses to attend the ACB Convention for the premiere if available to attend.
The piece will be premiered at the annual convention of the Association of Concert Bands to be held in Santa Fe, New Mexico April 27-May 2, 2021.
Deadline: June 15, 2020
International Women’s Brass Conference
IWBC exists to educate, develop, support, and inspire all women brass musicians. For over 20 years, IWBC has successfully worked towards its mission by:
• Hosting seven international conferences
• Supporting outstanding musicians through the Susan
Slaughter Solo Competition, many of whom have
moved on to successful careers in the music field.
• Commissioning new pieces for brass
• Publishing NoteWorthy, the biannual newsletter
of the IWBC
Maud Powell Society
The MPS has announced that the four-volume Maud Powell Favorites collection of Violin transcriptions, Brahms Concerto Cadenza, Music Analyses and Editions, and Music Dedicated to, Commissioned by or Associated with violinist Maud Powell is available to all SAI chapters, school libraries, and string teachers at a discounted price of $95.
The Music Teachers National Association
The Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) offers numerous composition, performance, and chamber music competitions, with age requirements ranging from elementary school through adult. Entrants must study with a MTNA member teacher or pay a non-member fee, as well as be a US citizen or hold a US Visa or resident card.